Aug
27
Aug
27
10.45am
Aug
30
7.00pm

Our Church History

HISTORY OF THE CHILDS MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH

“A Journey to New Blessings”

On September 9, 1923, the Ebenezer Baptist Church relocated from their Mt. Vernon Street location to their new home on North 10th Street below Girard Avenue under the pastorate of Reverend Alexander Childs. Shortly, within months after this move Rev. Childs was called home to be with the Lord.

Later at Ebenezer in 1932, under the Reverend J. Walter Brooks, the church was faced with a financial crisis. There was large disagreement on the resolution of the matter within the membership. That disagreement resulted in a portion of the group leaving the church. This departing group of believers, although they were now without a church home, were still resolute to do God’s work.

Under the leadership and guidance of Board of Trustee Chairman Henry A. Himmons, trustees John Monroe and Edward Adams, and Edward M. Baker, the organizing began … with the support of the other members.

Brother Baker made arrangements to hold Sunday church services at 11:00 A.M. in Clayton Hall, 919 West Girard Ave. But because the hall was used for other purposes and there was need for additional services, Mr. Baker arranged to use the Strand Theatre on 12th and Girard for morning and afternoon worship. When necessary, services were also held in his home and in the homes of other members. This faithful congregation of believers (though un-named), were also simultaneously, working to become recognized legally as a non-profit religious incorporated organization.

Now, while all this labor in the name of the Lord was being undertaken, the remaining members of the Ebenezer Baptist Church who had stayed with Rev. Brooks on North 10th Street, were forced to go elsewhere as the continuing financial crisis caused those doors to be pad locked when serious debts accrued and the bills went unpaid.

Sensing that the Lord had provided the hope for a permanent home, Mr. Baker and the faithful brothers and sisters had to find a way to reopen those locked doors on North 10th Street below Girard Avenue.

To generate the needed funds to pay off the debts, a major fundraising drive had to be undertaken, and generous donations had to be given. Again, Mr. Baker was the leader; he and several other members were the first to contribute, even going so far as to post their personal properties as collateral.

The reward came when the necessary payments were made covering past debts, and l83 devoted lambs re-entered the church building on North 10th Street (the former Ebenezer Baptist Church), led gloriously by Deacon Frank Mitchell, who was another hard working pillar of the church.